Developing the Art of Communication
Communication can be defined as passing of message from 1 person to another.
Various aspects of Communication
- Verbal Communication
- Non Verbal Communication
- Body Language
- Eye Contact
- Gestures & Postures
- Facial Expressions
- Dress Code
- Body Language
TIPS ON HOW TO DEVELOP EFFECTIVE BUSINESS COMMUNICATION SKILLS
The English word communication is derived from Latin term ‘Communis’ which means ‘to make common, to transmit, to impart’. When something is made common, it means sharing and interaction and both of these are very important for communication, general and business communication in particular. When a message is sent out it becomes communication only when it is understood, acknowledges, reacted to or replied to by the receiving party.
The objectives of Communication: Why do we need communicate?
- Sharing of Information
- Education & training
- Suggestion Persuasion
- Influencing a potential customer.
It is a general observation that professionals devote a lot of time, money and energy in learning technical skills (Software Engineer learns programming, does certification, A CA does learns accountancy, learns international accounting). One may be excellent software engineer, accountant, back office executive, Architect, Graphics Designer but of he/she has not learnt the art and science of Business Communication it becomes very challenging to develop a career in Corporate world. Due to lack of Business Communication skills one may experience difficulties while preparing resumes, clearing interviews, expressing confidently in Business Meetings, getting the desired promotions, delivering presentations, managing and leading teams.
A professional who wants to constantly excel in his career in this vast competitive corporate world he/she has to commit to invest a lot of time and effort in developing interpersonal or communication skills. After years of research and training thousands of professionals here’s a list of tips to enhance these skills.
- Develop listening Skills: It is a wrong notion that an excellent communicator is one who speaks very well. Actually it is the other way round. An excellent communicator is 1 who listens very well. Tips on how to develop listening skills:
- Watch an English movie with English subtitle.
- Listen to audio tips and practice writing down what was there sentence by sentence.
- Learn the art of Observation Skills: It is very important to understand the situation, the people, and the background before communicating. How to develop observation skills:
- Before communicating on important occasions study the situation in detail.
- Read the body language of the person or group of people.
- Look at the Dress Code and take some hints.
- Learn correct Body Language: Our body speaks a lot even when we are silent. So it is very important that we understand what are different body postures communicate and we also learn the right body language. How to develop correct Body language:
- Stand in front of Mirror and observe yourself.
- Practice impromptu speech in front of mirror and see for your self if your gestures & postures are consistent with what you’re trying to communicate. Make appropriate changes in that.
- Video shoot yourself delivering a speech and watch it repeatedly.
- Develop a Quality Voice: A less energetic, low and unclear voice fails to arouse interest in a listener. A loud, clear & deep voice creates a powerful impact. One can say, the quality of voice defines the personality. A lot of practice is needed to develop quality voice. Tips to develop Voice quality are:
- Pitch of Voice: If you have a low voice, practice reading loudly as much as you can and if your voice is too loud practice speaking as low as possible.
- Pace of Voice: Of you speak very fast practice slow reading. Read each word followed by a 5 sec pause. If your words per min is too low practice reading fast.
- Pause in your Voice: Practice to take a 1 sec pause after every fullstop and comma.
- Voice Modulation: If you speak in plain vanilla voice, the listener will lose interest very soon. To develop voice modulation practice reading each sentence by stressing on any one particular word.
- Global English: If English is not your mother toungue, you may have mother tongue influence which may affect your English. How to develop Global English.
- Identify the wrong sounds in your spoken English.
- Learn to speak the correct sounds.
- Practice tongue twisters.
- Chose the correct mode of Communication: Now-a-days 1 can communicate through various mediums like mobile, SMS, fax, email, chat, voice mail and 1 to 1 meetings. It takes experience and proper judgment to choose the right mode of communication. How to choose right mode of Communication. (Ex: When instant response is required phone is the right mode of communication & when you require to have information or idea on records email is the best form)
- Before you communicate any important point or an idea stop and think and ask yourself.
- What are the modes through which I can communicate this idea.
- What will be the best mode of communication at this point of time.
- Develop proper dress code: Before one start speaking body language & dressing already create an impression and the listener starts relating to what one communicates keeping that perception in mind. Ex: If you go to a party in a formal dress there are very high chances that the 1st question you might face would be are you coming directly from office? How to develop proper dress code.
- Identify one of your friends or family member who has excellent dressing sense.
- Budget a certain amount for changing your dressing style.
- Choose the clothing’s with the help of your chosen friend or relative.
- Inculcate Corporate Vocabulary: Day to day communication may involve use of simple English. At the same time it is very important to use corporate vocabulary in importance situations such as presentations, interviews, emails & sales calls. How to develop corporate vocabulary. Ex: “Instead of saying we are thinking, if we can find a solution to this problem“ You can use Business English & reframe it “We are developing a strategy in order to get a desired results.“
- Observe Senior Managers, Clients using corporate vocabulary and note them down.
- Read news paper, magazines, articles from net related to your field and make a note of Business Vocabulary. Keep these notes handy and use it at every opportunity till it becomes a habit.
- Habituate yourself to collect & use Business vocabulary.
- Learn Public Speaking Skills: Speaking to groups of people is an important aspect which helps to effectively participate in Business Meetings & presentations. In order to develop Public Speaking skills:
- Take a topic of your choice and prepare yourself.
- Practice speaking in groups of people.
- Ask the listeners to evaluate your public speaking skills on parameters like body language, voice quality and clarity of speech.