Discover How Master Keys Work and How They Can Work For You
Master keys can be used to gain access to an entire property, even if the property uses different locks for different areas. They are cut to fit into a range of different locks, while each lock accepts only the master and the change keys that were cut to open this specific lock. This is convenient because it allows people to have one key that grants them access to an entire property without labeling and carrying dozens of them.
One Key Can Open Many Locks
Understanding how master keys work is relatively simple. The trick is actually inside the lock. The most common type of lock is called a pin and tumbler lock. These locks contain small pins that vary in length and are divided into pairs. When someone inserts a key into a lock, the pattern that is cut into the key pushes the pins up to different heights. The right key for a lock will push up both pairs of pins so that they come together at the correct place, thus allowing the locking mechanism to rotate and open. When locks are outfitted to accommodate master keys, they will contain a third pin that sits between a few of the pins in the pair that operate with the change key. They contain a spacer that fits into the space occupied by the third pins, which allows only the master keys to turn this locking mechanism to rotate and unlock the door. When every lock on a building is outfitted for master keys, the pairs of pins that work with the change keys will vary, allowing for designated keys to open specific areas, while the combination on the third set of pins remains the same, allowing only the master to open every lock on the premises.
Beneficial For Homeowners and Business Owners
Master keys are a great tool for anyone that may have a need to access an entire building, whether it’s for administrative reasons or emergency situations. They are generally used by:
• Maintenance repairmen and janitors - Since these professions include cleaning and maintaining properties, having access to the entire building is crucial. Janitors often work at night when there is no one to let them into the areas that need to be cleaned. Repairmen need access to all areas to fix and maintain properties.
• Landlords and property managers - They should have access to the properties they own or manage at all times. In the event that there is an emergency, they can access the property without tenants being present.
• Business owners and managers - While employees may need access to the entrance of a building as well as their individual offices, owners and managers of a company should have keys for all areas of the building. This allows them to enter every room, while employees only have access to the areas they need to use.
• School Principals - Having different keys for different areas of a school is a great way to secure the school building, and principals can benefit from having access to the entire school while teachers can have access to their classroom, library, teachers lounge and recreational areas.
• Homeowners - Some homeowners may have a need to outfit different areas of their property with separate locks. Having master keys allows homeowners to open all areas of their home, while granting access to specific areas to specific people. Homeowners who use gardeners and pool maintenance services can give a change key to workers that only opens areas outside the home. They can also give family members or neighbors a key that unlocks an area of the home to care for pets while the homeowners are away.
Having a master key system installed on a residential or commercial property offers security and convenience. If a change key was issued to an employee or a tenant and they no longer work or live in a building, only the areas they had access to will need to be rekeyed. This saves property owners money due to the fact that they may not have a need to rekey an entire building.
There are many benefits to having this system installed on a residential or commercial property. No excess keys, no need to rekey an entire building, and property owners can designate who has access to certain areas of the property.
Affordable Locksmith - About the Author:
Affordable Locksmith Services, Inc. is a full service locksmith company servicing residential and commercial properties in Palm Beach County, Florida. For more information on how master keys work and to find out if master keys are the right option for your home or business, contact Affordable Locksmith today.