Health Insurance in India An Analysis
Health is one of our major concerns in India and the best thing that you can do to yourself is to get a good health insurance plan that can take care of anything that happens to your health. While medical services and treatments are good in India they can come out pretty costly. If a major illness happens, one can find himself spending a good amount of his savings on it. It is best to offload the expenses to someone else and the safest bet can be a good health insurance company.
Health or Medical Insurances are of many types and cover different aspects of the same. Most good health insurance plans have their own panel hospitals where they can get cashless hospitalization facility and avoid the hassles of paying cash now and making claims later. While such an insurance policy not only backs you with the finances that are needed they also save a lot of time and paper work.
The insurance plans cover not only the hospitalization charges but also other related charges. It can cover other essentials like ambulance charges, day care procedures, cash needed for small procedures and expenses at the hospital. Some good health insurance policies even cover the expenses made by the person accompanying the patient in the course of hospitalization.
The benefits and coverage of all plans however vary and can depend on one or more of the following factors:
- The kind of ailment or injury can affect the amount covered
- The time when it was diagnosed also affects the coverage and the benefits
- Most policies do not cover illnesses contracted within 30 days of commencement of the policy
- Some diseases like cataract, hernia and tumor can be covered only a fixed period has passed
- Surgeries for diseases like gall stones and renal stones can be covered only after a fixed period has passed
- Most medical insurance policies do not cover any treatments other than allopathic treatments. Ayurvedic and Homeopathic treatments cannot be covered under such plans
- Diseases that are a known hereditary in the family or were contracted at birth are also not covered by most insurance plans
- Any treatments or surgeries needed due to a condition caused by the consumption or use of alcohol or any other intoxicating drug is also not covered by most medical insurance plans.
Most policies available in the market offer different coverage and different benefits. Choosing one can be a tricky thing but it is easy as most information is readily available online and one can easily make comparisons between various policies. One should always go for a policy that gives you the maximum benefit for risk you think you run the most. In case you need more guidance you can apply online and an agent would contact you and offer help readily. They have good product knowledge and hence can guide you to the best plan.